
My Dears,
I was recently asked where do I find myself at this point in my life..... I pondered, and pondered. I searched back through the years, from very early on, to now. How did I respond you wonder? I smiled...almost sadly, but with wisdom (at least I hope I've garnered some).
I thought of my life in terms of a restaurant menu...
For starters, my life began as an aperitif..
A sparkling wine was I as a child...filled with wonder and curiosity of this world. I was very outgoing, always the little actress with the friendly smile when another child was nearby. I was the one who championed the kid who was bullied at school. I was the one who would one day become a teacher, a lawyer, or a nurse. I dreamed quite a lot those days.
I chose my teen years as the appetizer of my life.
Outgoing still and with many friends, my turbulent teenage years were filled with crushes, school band and chorus fun, French for sophistication, heart-ache over a first-love, and the ever present question...what shall I do after high school? I became lost in the music and days of old. I was called the 50's girl. Not very popular was I... but I was content in my own little world. High school was at its end. Many friends parted ways and it was time to move on to the next course.
Then came the salad years...
Oh what lovely years. I was in the midst of self-discovery. I worked several jobs, went to a few schools, and studied radio broadcasting. I immersed myself in the love of all things old (vintage, Victorian, Edwardian). I met my husband during those years at an oldies show he was hosting. We were married a year later. It was during those years that I became a domestic engineer. Oh how I loved being a homemaker and hostess! I was given wings to fly. I made many new friends during those years. I made the husband happy......I was happy.
Yet every happy scene must have a sad entry...no? Well in my menu it did. The dressing in my salad course turned bad...very sour. I grew up, really grew up during those years of my husband's illness and passing. I learned grief, but with that grief came acceptance and a new discovery. I discovered ME. I found a woman of courage and strength, for as the song says, I picked myself up...dusted myself off..and started all over again. I took on the business, practically overnight and have tackled many obstacles along the way. It's not been easy, but I'm not afraid.
So where am I in my life right now?
This is my Intermezzo.
I am now in the in-between of life's menu....my palate must be cleansed before I move on to the main course...the rest of my life. *smiles* It is in this stage of my life...this tasty sorbet... where I shall hone my skills, improve myself as a human being, and continue my quest of self discovery....for there is so much more to me that I've yet to discover. Oh..and believe me, I shall make sure to enjoy this quest...this brief foray... before the intermezzo is taken off the table. I do hope my main course will be an absolutely delicious dish. *playfully smiles*
Did I mention? I can hardly wait for dessert!!!
I hope your life menu has served up some wonderful dishes!!
xoxo
Sandra
What a lovely way to describe ones life :)
ReplyDeleteYou do sound so very wise....I'll join you in looking forward to dessert!!
Sandra, I love your writing... the way you describe things. Perfect. I was dismayed at the difficult loss of your beloved, but encouraged that you have such an attitude of perseverance and determination for discovery. How I admire your ability to move on to the Intermezzo of life. I predict a delicious main course and a tantalizing dessert in life. You have just such a life ahead. xxx Vicki
ReplyDeleteA lovely way of conveying happy, as well as difficult life events.
ReplyDeleteI'm sure you will come to your Dessert...
Sandra,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful post!
Blessings,
Kim
My dears,
ReplyDeleteThank you all for your kind and sweet comments. This topic was a special one to me.
I hope you are having a lovely Sunday.
xoxo
Sandra
Sandra,
ReplyDeleteThis is a lovely post, your description of each course of life is beautiful. You are such a talented writer.
As busy as this summer has been I would just be happy to sit long enough to enjoy any course, my favorite has, and still is, salad.
Have a wonderful week,
Judy
PS, It is perfectly wicked, but widely accepted, to sample the dessert while one waits for the main course.
Love the picture and what a delightful post!
ReplyDeleteHello my dear,
ReplyDeleteThat was such a lovely way to thing of your life. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I made me look at my life differently.
You are a blessing!
Love,
Iraida
Dear Judy, Dreamwriter, & Iraida,
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post. I'm definitely enjoying this intermezzo...know that my main entree has to be delicious...let's not even get into dessert! LOL
Enjoy your courses!
xoxo
Sandra
A very lovely and poignant post. You have a wonderful way with words. I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. It is just charming. Love your music, too. I shall return for more visits!
ReplyDeleteMaureen