...And I mean handwriting, not typing.
Today I composed a nice, long letter to a friend in New England. It was my first time writing with my new fountain pen. Oh, but what a lovely pen....the Mother Of Pearl from Libelle's Nature series. Not only is it pretty to look at, but the words flowed effortlessly, quite nicely onto the paper.
How easy it is to lose oneself through the art of writing. The words paint vivid pictures of thoughts and express feeling. That which your mind has created, flows through the pen in fluid motion...thoughts the reader will be able to see and perhaps even feel. That is the beauty of the written word. Oh how lucky is the receiver of hand written letters, for we know how precious and rare it is to find that envelope in your mailbox when one can easily e-mail in minutes. So much is lost in electronic correspondence...most importantly, the personal touch. The rare times I do receive snail mail, I make a ritual of it. I make sure all my toils of the day are done. I take some quiet time, a cup of tea, and find a cozy spot in my home. There I indulge in the moment...the visit of loved ones as they talk to me and bring me closer to them through the simple magic that is the written word.
xoxo
Miss Sandra
I couldn't agree more.
ReplyDeleteThe rare times you receive snail-mail?!? Why should they be rare? When people like me, are very willing to write. :-)
ReplyDeleteYes, Aunt Amelia is trying to increase her snail-mail correspondence. Waving her handkie, and calling out "Yoooo hoo..." in 'Bloglandia' and even being so forward as to come right out and ask people, if they'd like to try snail-mail with her. :-)
See, when one becomes a wee bit older, one simply stops being as timid, as in early years. One says... "If not now, when?" And adopts it as her personal motto. :-)
Oh I know. Most people aren't yet in the category of 'A Lady Of A Certain Age.' And they're very happy that they aren't. But really, this 'speaking up-ness' is a lovely perk of, having more years on one. Really...
Gentle hugs,
Aunt Amelia
Aunt Amelia's Attic~
Dear you,~
la (dot) attico (at) yahoo (dot) com
Matthew,
ReplyDeleteGlad you agree. The niceties of the past have been disappearing bit by bit. We need to keep a hold of the old ways, which of course includes letter writing. :)Thank you for stopping by.
Aunt Amelia,
Indeed I have not been inundated with snail mail. Shame isn't it?? I'm all for "speaking up-ness". Needless to say, I see your hankie waving and I shall be happy to correspond with you dear. I'll keep in touch soon enough!
Hugs,
Miss Sandra
You know I wholeheartedly hoot, "hear hear!"
ReplyDeleteMissive Maven,
ReplyDeleteI can hear you hooting from here. *chuckles*
Keep writing those letters!
Miss Sandra