
My dears...as I sit here having a nice cup of tea, I'm thinking of the lovely time had during my weekend away from the present. It was an escape for the soul as well the mind....a much needed escape. Where did I go you wonder? Well I ventured not too very far from home. Cape May, New Jersey.
For those who have not had the pleasure of visiting this seaside town steeped in the past, I urge you to venture out some day. Victorian homes in all colors, shapes, and sizes grace the streets with their ever present charm...inviting you to stop in for a cup of tea and step back in time if only for a brief spell. Thankfully for my sake they hold many events throughout the year. My favorite is the Victorian Dance Weekend held every April and October.
This year, I stayed at the lovely Humphrey Hughes House on Ocean St. The hosts were not only warm and welcoming, but helpful as well. I found that out first hand....leaving my lady's maid at home, I had no one to help me get into my 1890's gown for the ball. Thankfully ou
r hostess was roaming about and was more than happy to give me a hand. Oh!! Did I mention the food??Breakfast was not only a feast for the eyes, but also an experience for the palate. So good is the fare at the Humphrey Hughes House, a cookbook was written in order to placate those who wanted the recipes. Needless to say, I'll make this Cape May inn my place to stay from here on.
On Friday, a non-Victorian dance was held at the next town over...an impromptu gathering for the vintage dancers to get a head start on their weekend. That night I danced the waltz, fox trot, cha cha, and even a little swing. It was loads of fun.
Saturday night was the main event of the weekend. The Victorian Ball.
This is the night to dress to the nines and be seen. I wore a lovely 1890's blue gown with gold trim. I felt like Cinderella, without having to lose a slipper. *smiles* However, once upon the dance floor, I felt like Ginger Rogers. Oh how I love to waltz!! I did plenty of that and also a couple of polkas, quadrilles, shotisches, and more waltzing. In the words of Eliza Doolittle, "I Could Have Danced All Night."Alas, the clock struck midnight, my coach awaited, and I had to give in to the demands of slumber.
Ahh....but the Sunday afternoon Tea Dance was next! This affair was less formal and the music spanned the ragtime of the 1910's. Foxtrots, waltzes, tangos, and the one/two-step were the dances of the afternoon. Needless to say, I did a little of each and enjoyed every minute. My tootsies would have probably danced for another few days before giving in to resting.
I've been floating on that wonderful journey for the past couple of weeks. I look forward to the next affair through the veil of time. Oh wait! That'll be held here at Harmonie House on the 4th of July. Picnic and croquet in period attire....I can hardy wait!!
In the meantime....Fred Astaire, here I come!
xoxo!
Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time. You look lovely in that gown!
ReplyDeleteHear, hear - the gown is smashing on you, indeed. Sounds like such a delightful time!
ReplyDeleteOh how lovely your blog is! I remember you...I think we exchanged comments once! Merci beaucoup that you visited for a spot of tea! I am in the process of tea time with my husband, then off to bed! You have made my evening with your walk through the past; we need to escape the craziness of our 21st century! Blessings to you, Anita
ReplyDeleteI'm Glad you had a lovely time. You deserved time away. Maybe next time I can go and embarrass you with my crassness, ha ha. Fun for me perhaps...;p Love you. me.
ReplyDeleteOh it all sounds so delightful, just the thought of it makes me giddy. You are absolutely ravishing in that lovely gown.
ReplyDeleteSQ
Kimberley, thank you. I wish I could take credit for making that gown. Alas, it was a loan.It was indeed a wonderful time.
ReplyDeleteMissive Maven, thank you for the compliment. A delightful time was had by all! I must do this again. :)
Anita, yes indeed we've exchanged comments. I love your blog...so pretty. Tea time is always a lovely time. I always look forward to any opportunity that gives me the chance to leave this hectic present. I shall make sure to take you along through my blog. Blessings!
Maryann, you silly girl. I know well enough you would not embarrass me...for crassness is truly not your nature. Sense of humor is more like it!! Love you too!
SQ, so glad I can make you giddy!! I love feeling giddy. :) And thank you...I'm very fond of that gown. Too bad I have to return it. *smiles*
What a lovely blog you have. And how happy I am that I came here, from 'The Missives Maven's' blog.
ReplyDeleteOh Cape May! How I'd love to go there some time. And what a delightful weekend you must have had. And such a gown! Oh lucky you.
Mmmmm, a bit of "Ohhhhhhh overkill" there, I fear. ,-)
'Aunt Amelia'
~
Aunt Amelia's Attic~
Dear you,
Dear Aunt Amelia,
ReplyDeleteNot overkill at all!! :)I'm glad you stopped by. Please feel free to visit often. Lovely to meet you.
Oh what fun! I've never learned to dance and always dreamed of being Ginger Rogers! :-)
ReplyDeleteBlessings and smiles,
Spencer
Spencer...thank you for stopping by to say hello. It's never too late to learn how to dance. Ginger Rogers is only a few dance steps away in the horizon. I visited your blog and had a lovely time while there. I look forward to stopping in from time to time. Please feel free to stop by here for tea as often as you wish.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and smiles,
Sandra
Dearest...this is so wonderful...and what a beautiful gown..did you have to return it:(..
ReplyDeleteAlas dear Dutchess, I shall have to return it.:(
ReplyDeleteThat's okay...perhaps I shall be inspired to make my own. Only time will tell.
Have a most lovely evening.
Sandra