Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Austen Musings


You all know me as Miss Sandra, but did you know som
e days I go by Elizabeth Bennett, or Elinor Dashwood...or even Emma Woodhouse? Do you see a pattern here? I love Jane Austen. I easily get lost within the pages of her books.


I'm Miss Bennett at wit's end with that proud insufferable Mr. Darcy. Oh please someone get this silly cousin of mine, Mister Collins, away from me! Dreadfully embarrassing. Can it be? Mr. Collins has proposed to my best friend Charlotte Lucas...and she accepted? What can she be thinking? Oh merciful heavens...better her than I. My dear sister Jane, so in love with Mr. Bingley...they shall be happy. Lydia has gone and eloped with that bounder George Wickham! What is to become of us all? And that pompous Mr. Darcy....he's wonderful after all! I can't help but love that man!

I've been in Miss Woodhouse's shoes and have wondered why Mr. Elton cannot see the charms of my dear friend Harriet. I think it's a p
erfect match..and you know I have been successful as a matchmaker. Just see how happy Mr. and Mrs. Weston are! Proof indeed. Oh dear...I cannot imagine why Mr. Knightley is cross with me again. Oh but I do love that man!

And oh the trials and tribulations of being Elinor Dashwood. I hide my
feelings for Edward Ferris deep within my heart...knowing that Lucy Steele shall have him. My sister Maryann, so wrapped up in her own broken heart, cannot see my daily suffering. Oh if only she could see the love that Colonel Brandon exudes whenever she's in his presence! What is that??? Edward didn't marry Miss Steele? Is he to be all mine? Oh merciful heavens...I love that man!

Currently I am Anne Elliot, invicible to my family but loved like a daughter by Lady Russell. It was this kind lady who eight years ago persuaded me to turn down my engagement with Captain Frederick Wentworth. Oh why did I ever listen? Now he's back and will probably marry Louisa Musgrove. Oh how can I stand it!? What's this? My cousin William Elliot has set his sights on me? He seems nice...but he's not my Frederick. However, if we marry I shall be mistress of my very own beloved home Kellynch Hall. Oh dear. What have I just learned? Oh can it truly be? Captain Wentworth is not marrying Louisa! She's to marry Captain Benwick! There is still hope. Yes!! Frederick loves me still......oh I love that man!

Isn't it wonderful to lose oneself in a good book....to live the lives of the heroines within those pages? Jane Austen created some truly wonderful and memorable characters. They come to life the moment I open a book. I make sure to visit them over and over again.


Tell me...what's your favorite Jane Austen novel?

xoxo

Miss Sandra


13 comments:

  1. I have to admit it: I've never read any Jane Austin novels! Which one should I start with?

    I loved Jane Eyre, but that's the only Bronte (of either sister) I've read, if that's anything to go on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems so long ago and far away that I read Jane Austin and for the life of me I cannot remember any of the characters.
    But of other novels, I remember being madly in love with Heathcliff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Persuasion and Emma are my favourite novels. As far as Austen characters go, I find my heart always goes out to the much-maligned Mr Collins in Pride and Prejudice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I love the Austen mystique, I too, have never read any of her books. -blushhhhh- {But don't give up hope, because my 15 year old granddaughter is after me, to do so!!! Yes, she who loves the 'Twilight' saga, also loves all that is Austen, and loads of other 'big' books.}

    I did try "Emma." I did. But I got so upset with the continuous ramblings of Emma's poor old father, that I couldn't keep at it. Silly hu? Even though this was a while ago, perhaps it was still a reminder to me, that my own age and eccentricities, were creeping up on me. -sighhh-

    You, who sound "lost in Austen" {you and Sophia and others} do make me jealous. I love being "lost" in something else too. Well, I do have one of Jane's novels on hold/coming, at the library. Forget which one now. But maybe there's hope for me yet!!!! :-)

    And I know that reading the fun books, like "Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" are not like reading the real thing.

    I can't close without saying that you are just the cutest thing! Just the cutest! You have "the look down pat," as the old saying goes!!!

    Gentle hugs,
    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hard question, I like all her works but if I have to choose it is a toss up between Pride & Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility, Oh, but then there is also Emma. What a dilemma, I have to choose them all as my top three of all her works. Thank you for paying a call and for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss Sandra,

    Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors! It is difficult to choose a favorite but believe it or not 'Lady Susan' is my favorite of her writings. As for her novels it would be a toss up between Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey. I actually perform as Jane Austen (I am a storyteller-if you'd like to see me as Jane please visit me at http://divinelytold.blogspot.com ). I love her books, the movies made of her books, and the romance from her era. A dear friend of mine is a seamstress and made my Jane Austen dresses. I love the picture on this post of you dressed in Regency attire:) It is always so much fun to meet another Jane fans-there are so many of us! Jane and tea-what could be better?

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Missive Maven,
    Which Austen book should you start with?? Hmm...
    good question. My top two favorites are Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion. However, starting with something light like Emma, might be a good idea. However, every story is truly wonderful. I tell you what, write down the seven titles..put them in a bag, and pick one. Do let me know which one you eventually start with. How delightful!!!

    Judy (SQ)
    I too remember feeling something for Heathcliff. What a romantic yet terribly sad character! Made me want to rescue his heart.
    *sigh*

    Matthew,
    I couldn't resist a chuckle in your admission of favoring the much maligned character Mr. Collins. I don't see him as intentionally maligned. No. He throws himself into that path quite nicely. One cannot help but be embarrassed for the Bennetts having such a silly man for a relative. Then again, one must add Lydia and Mrs. Bennett to the bevy of embarrassing family members. Truth be told, they make the story extra entertaining. Persuasion is a beautiful story..always guaranteed to make me sigh.

    Aunt Amelia,
    I too must admit that Emma's father can become quite tiresome, but she handles him ever so well. I was almost tempted to try some gruel after his constant praises of it's goodness. :)
    No doubt if you should pick up another Austen book, you too will become lost in her world and characters. You must try it! Make sure your granddaughter picks one for you real soon.
    Thank you so much for the compliment. I do love the Regency era look. I've been meaning to host a Jane Austen tea for quite some time. I think I shall. You are so dear!

    Miss Sandy,
    You are quite right. It is a dilemma, for all her books are truly wonderful. Pride & Prejudice was always #1, but Persuasion has been competing for that spot. Sense and Sensibility is a close runner-up along with Emma. Mansfield Park and Northanger Abbey are a bit lower on my list. Oh dear...it is quite difficult to choose! Thank you for stopping by again. So nice to see you.

    Kim,
    I read Lady Susan so long ago that I have forgotten the story altogether. I must read it in the near future so I can recall whether I enjoyed it or not. Though really...Jane never had a bad story, at least in my opinion.
    I visited your story page and must say that you look absolutely lovely in period attire. You seem to become the characters you portray. Story telling in that capacity is truly a gift, and one you possess. How wonderful for you!
    If you are ever in the NYC area..you must come for tea and do some story telling for us. As you said, Jane and tea...what could be better?

    Hugs to you all my dears!
    xoxo
    Miss Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pleasure this summer is to re-read as many Jan Austen novels as I can, can't wait to start..Happy weekend, xv

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Vicki, what a great plan for the summer! I think I may do the same. Have a lovely weekend!
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit I've never read her either!! And my 13 year old granddaughter loves the Twilight series too. Is there a similarity? I guess I'll have to find out!
    Nice post - I can just see you on stage, acting out the parts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Wendy,

    I think this summer would be ideal for you to join us and read an Austen novel. Then you can come back and tell us how you like or dislike it..I do hope you end up enjoying it thoroughly.
    As to your question, I haven't read any of the Twilight novels, but must venture to say that there is no similarity to Jane Austen in any way. If I'm correct, I believe the Twilight series has to do with a vampire in love with a human girl. I think it's all the rage today!
    I hope you've had a lovely day. Nice to see you again.
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love Jane Austen! Books, movies...you name it! I took the Jane Austen quiz a while back, and I am most like Marianne Dashwood.

    I think my favorite has got to be Pride & Prejudice. Mr. Darcy makes me swoon! I really enjoyed this post and the photo of you in costume! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Lori!
    Welcome...how nice of you to visit! Yay for another lover of Jane Austen. We are one happy family. :) Pride and Prejudice is probably the all time best....Mr. Darcy makes me swoon too.
    What a man!!Thank you for stopping by. Come again soon and please stay for tea.
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra