Monday, June 1, 2009

Herb Day With Dear Friends


Teapot bird house in my garden.
(picture by Kimberley of the Camera Commune blog).


Every year, a few of my dearest friends and I take a drive out to our favorite herb farm to stock up on our most needed herbs for our gardens. This year, Kim, whom most of you know from Camera Commune, and Joy along with her baby Raiden, accompanied me on a most lovely June day.

I had a list and was on a mission. I needed several sweet basil plants, one Genovese basil, Sicilian oregano, large leaf & fuzzy Cuban oregano, rosemary, nasturtiums, fennel, French tarragon, French thyme, rose geraniums, spearmint, parsley, lavender, and for color and pizazz..a red poppy plant.
I already have dill, chocolate mint, chives, lemon balm,German thyme, sage, Egyptian onion, and loads of lavender in my garden. I think the new additions will cover the missing "few". I'll have plenty of potting to do within the next few days.

The "few" herbs needed to complete my herb garden.

We wrapped up our trip with honey straws and organic pomegranate lollipops. Mmmm.. Upon arriving back at Harmonie House, we quickly set up some yummy foods to bring out back for an outdoor late lunch...dinner. We relaxed and enjoyed one another's company, for we do not often get together as we used to. Needless to say, laughter was abundant at our table.

Joy (left with Raiden in carriage) & Kim




Kim enjoyed her iced tea, and Joy her greens!



Baby Raiden enjoyed his sock. :)

Needless to say, today was indeed lovely. The bonding of friends, the foray through nature's garden, good food, laughter, and having the sun in the morning and the moon at night.....

Life can most definitely be a bowl of cherries!


Happy June! May life be a bowl of cherries for you all.

xoxo

Miss Sandra

9 comments:

  1. What a happy day, that must have been, for all.

    And what a lovely looking top or dress you had on. Soft of color, lacy, just so very 'you,' I'd think.

    Thank you for inviting us, to your little gathering.

    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day (it looks like you all had a lot of fun:)!

    Blessings,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you did post our visit! Hooray! I agree, the day was great fun! I took a chance and planted the rosemary I bought outside. We'll see if it makes it through the winter and comes back next year...

    For your readers, let me just point out that Joy and I DID NOT call each other that morning and decide on tie-dye. Sometimes, tie-dye just happens...

    Love ya Sandra,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like everyone had a very wonderful day. Perfect weather, good friends and nature all around, it just doesn't get any better.

    Warm hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aunt Amelia,
    Thank you for joining us..and for the compliment on my dress. It was indeed a lovely day. I love my friends!

    Kim,
    We had lots of fun. Never a dull moment, and plenty of laughter. Must do it again!

    Kimberley,
    Naturally I posted about your visit. It was an event...one that should happen more often dahling. As for the rosemary, don't forget to bring it indoors before the first frost. It should make it happily into next year...and the next...etc. I've done well with their rosemary in the past. It's so lovely and smells divine.
    As for the tie-dye match up, I heard baby Raiden almost wore one too...I would have really stood out. Love ya too dear!

    Judy,
    It was so much fun. I need more days like that one. In fact we all do. Visits with the girlfriends are so therapeutic. Don't you think?

    Hugs galore to you all!! xoxo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a happy post!!! Love herbs, just wish I did not kill them so fast!! Hope this finds you well, Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raiden is following in the footsteps of Stimpson J. Cat and having the usual, a sock!

    Hopefully next year my herb garden won't be an entire weed patch and I can get something besides two basils. Now that I know the secret about Rosemary, I'll grab one of those next time too! Waiting for my fennel from last year to give seeds, yum!

    Yes, good day, good fun, good company, and no baby psycho-fits, which is always a good thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! You certainly have lots of herbs in your herb garden! Do you cook with all of them???

    What a wonderful and fun day with friends. I love June and summer in general for getting together, enjoying the weather and a picnic in the backyard (don't think I'd like a taste of Raiden's sock, thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy dear,
    Thank you for stopping by. No baby psycho-fits at all. Raiden was so well behaved. You should be proud of that gorgeous pumpkin. I wanted to eat him up in kisses and chew on those fat legs. Oh how cute! Blessings!

    Wendy,
    I do enjoy having plenty of herbs around for one never knows when they'll come in handy. Yes, for the most part I used them in my cooking. You aught to try lavender scones... a feast for the palate! I can't wait for my lavender to bloom. That'll be the first thing I make. The Cuban oregano which is also called "oregano brujo" in Spanish..is so aromatic and delicious. Great in beans...stews...etc. Basil, well...I used that for so many dishes. However, in the summer there is nothing like Jersey tomatoes with basil and mozzarella in olive oil. Mmmm...Nasturtium flowers are nice in sandwiches and salads. Thyme is good in meat dishes and such..
    Yes..I do use them all pretty much...plus I love to share them with neighbors and friends.
    By the way, I agree with you...I wouldn't have liked a taste of Raiden's sock either. *smiles*
    I hope you are having a lovely evening!

    Hugs to you both!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra