Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A House..A Home.


My Dears,

I find myself in quite the contemplative mood of late. I think of my yesterday, my now, and my tomorrow. Actually, been thinking a lot about my tomorrows.

Have I ever told you the story about how I came to be in Harmonie House? Okay, I'll tell you, and will try to make it brief...really, I'll try.

My late husband and I were at an open house directly across the street from Harmonie. The house we were touring was much larger, and the previous owners had let some of it fall into disrepair. However, there was still lots of beauty and its 1916 character was still intact. Restoration itself would have been minimal but still monumental to an extent. It was tempting, but my husband and I knew that it would cost quite a bit to repair, replace, and restore.

So we walked out the front door and bumped into a nearby neighbor who said, and I quote, "Oh my dears, this house is too large for just the two of you. The one across the street would have suited better, but it was recently purchased by a couple and their sons."
I looked across the street..my true first glimpse of what was to become Harmonie House. I sighed and shrugged indifferently. We thanked her and left.

Funny thing was, that somehow, the image of Harmonie stayed with me. Every time we passed it on our way to the nearest highway, I would ask the Mr. to slow down so that I could take a look at it. ..and so it happened it would become the thing to do whenever we drove by. At Christmastime I'd take great pains to look at their tree by the window and wondered what the rest of the house would be like. That's what it was like for about about 2 years.

Then one day, my husband came home and told me the house I liked so much was for sale. My heart skipped a beat, but then plummeted just as quickly, for we had just recently renovated the apartment we were living in at the time, and I knew buying a house was not in the cards.

Fate stepped in however in the form of a break-in..not in my apartment, but in the one next to us where we kept some storage..including my fine wedding china. Yes my dears, my china was stolen..and I felt afraid, violated, and ever so uncomfortable in my sweet little abode.

I told hubby it wouldn't hurt to look at the house..just to sate our curiosity after all this time. Knowing how much it would mean to me, and to cheer me after the hubub with the break-in, he agreed. I scheduled a meeting with the owners..they didn't have it listed with a real estate broker. I was so nervous. I wanted to love it but by the same token, I didn't want to. I knew my husband wasn't going to want a house when we lived in a perfectly lovely and new apartment. Why get my hopes up?

Walking up the front steps, I felt a pull..a nervous energy, and a deep excitement. When the owner opened the door she let us in through a small, tiled vestibule and into the open, large living room area. My heart seem to lodge in my throat. I knew from the instant I stepped inside that something had changed that very moment..my life was already affected. I was home.

All right...I said I would keep it short, so I guess I aught to stop now. After all, you know the rest of the story. I live in my Shangri-La...Harmonie House. There is much more to tell. It really is somewhat of a love affair..a coming home of sorts. Tis a story I would love to write about some day. The laughter, tears, hopes, and dreams held within these walls throughout the years are an extension of not only myself, but of those who have loved this home before me.

*sigh* Told you I was in a contemplative mood. Though life can seem a bit controlling at times and tries to take the upper hand with difficult situations, I sit myself down and know that all will be fine. I've encountered loss in the past and I have climbed out of its despair. I smile today because of my yesterdays...I'm hopeful for my tomorrows..and blissful because of now. I'm blessed and grateful.

xoxo
Miss Sandra

12 comments:

  1. You have a sweet attitude, my Dear. Along with a sweet story to tell.

    And a lovely soft and Spring-like blog look here, too. :-)

    Gentle hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Auntie,
    Thank you my dear! Hope all is well and less snowy in your world. I think we are ready for flowers and lemonade..yes?
    Hugs!!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't imagine you living any place but Harmonie House. It's always such a wonderful place for me to visit...even if only in pictures. Thank you for your kind words. I am feeling so much better now.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sandra,
    Hmmmmm, those contemplative moods do tend to wax and wane, do they not? You are most fortunate to have found your true "nest" as I have yet to discover mine. I fear I have a gypsy soul and that no place truly feels like "home". For me, as long as I have my felines and husband close at hand I consider any place, home. I often think of the saying, "home is where the heart is". How beautiful and true are those few words?

    I am very sorry that you have had to endure loss. For I know all too well those emotions. Getting to where we are now, obtaining measurable peace, is certainly something to be blissful of. :) May your week ahead be light beneath your footfalls. And may your heart and soul be seeped in in quiet tranquility ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mary,
    I'm glad you come and visit Harmonie House..even if only in pictures. :)
    I'm so glad you're feeling better! I hate to see my blog-land friends feeling down. Here's to the springtime and renewal of every blissful kind!
    xo!

    Dear Paula,
    Yes, those contemplative moods rise and set quite a bit of late.
    I love that even with your gypsy spirit, you have your nest wherever your husband and kitty are. I can understand that kind of nesting.
    When one has true love..home is where they are, no matter where that may be.
    Thank you for your warm thoughts and kind words. Blissful tidings to you and yours! xo!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was very touched by this post, as I too have lost a loved one (My First Husband)fifteen years ago, where does time go.
    Oh well,
    I don't want to cry...
    You have such a beautiful home. It is a dream of mine to own my little peace of heaven here on earth one day.
    Your Harmonie House is a wonderful place to come visit even it is online. I always enjoy reading your postings.
    xo,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Jaqueline,
    So many kindred souls out there..and I'm fortunate to find them. I'm so sorry for your loss. Amazing how time flies..right? It's been three years for me. I'm happy that you were given another chance to love. It's a blessing.
    I do hope that someday you will have your little peace of heaven on earth. No doubt you will make it ever so lovely.
    Have a most delightful weekend!
    xo!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Sandra-

    What a lovely story about finding your dream home, Harmonie House! It truly was kismet, wasn't it. A truly lovely house, full of great memories. And wonderful future memories? I do hope so! Home truly is where the heart is. :-) Thank you for sharing this lovely story.

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. So wonderful to read that you were able to purchase the home you felt so in harmony with and that you still enjoy it, day after day!
    Blessings to you,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Pam,
    Yes, you are right..it was kismet. Funny thing... I've never used that word till now! :)
    I do hope and pray to make many beautiful future memories within the walls of Harmonie House. I truly believe the house called to me. I'm sure you understand how that feels.
    So glad that Spring is finally settling in your world..and mine as well. Thanks for stopping in. So nice to see you! xo!

    Dear Merisi,
    How lovely to meet you. Thank you for visiting and for following. I do love my home very much and hope to continue sharing my joy with all of you out there. I shall stop and visit you very soon! Please visit often and do stay for tea!
    hugs!

    Blissful tidings my dears!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Miss Sandra,
    Your story touched my heart. I had those same feelings when we first stepped into this home. I had loved the outside for years...
    everytime we drove thru the village I had hubby drive slooooooowly down this street so I could ouuu and awwww at all the beautiful big old victorian homes and dream of living in one.
    When this on came up for sale and was sold by the time I found it and then was not sold the second time I looked I knew it was fate and it was meant for us.
    Many people won't get it but I know you will when I say "I am in love with this house."

    Come and visit,
    Hugs,
    Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Dolly,
    First I want to say welcome! How lovely to meet you...another kindred soul! Indeed I understand you completely. I fell in love with my home.
    Sometimes a house will speak to us..telling us it is HOME. The pull is evident and our hearts know it well. Truly..home is where the heart is...and tis the heart that heeds the call.
    I shall happily drop by and visit you real soon!
    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra