Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Winter Musings And Then Some..


My Dears,


Ohhhh it's nice and cold out....just the way I like it. Funny how winter inspires comfort....at least to me it does. I think of frost and see a nice fire blazing away in the hearth. I see snow and think of how lovely it is to sit in my library, book in hand, and watch the flakes fall gloriously upon the ground. Some days when it's at its coldest, I venture out, if only for a few minutes, to feel the cold upon my cheeks...the brush of icy fingertips cooling the warmth of my skin and leaving it rosy. I find it so invigorating to breathe in winter's crisp air before heading back in to the fireside.

Then there's the comfort wear..chenille socks to keep my toes soft and toasty, my flannel pjs, which sometimes I wear long after I'm out of bed on a snowy day, the homemade afghan.. lovingly crocheted and perfect to ward off the sudden chill. There's velvet, corduroy, wool, chenille, and cashmere..all the fabrics made to love and caress the skin at wintertime. I love gloves..long gloves, short gloves, driving gloves, and evening gloves...I wear my gloves all winter long. Oh..and let's not forget the muff...every Edwardian lady must have one you know! Then there are hats. Oh dear heavens!! I do so love hats..and during winter I'm at my glory. My head is always well covered and warmed by a favorite chapeau.

A cup of hot chocolate or tea is the first thing offered
at Harmonie House when the air is nippy. Mulled cider is always a favorite. Tell me my dears..have you ever tried warm cinnamon milk in the evening? Ohhh..that's a favorite since my childhood. Tis simple to make. Take a microwavable mug..fill it with milk, add a cinnamon stick or two, then sprinkle some cinnamon powder. Pop it in the microwave and heat it up. Sweeten as you please and enjoy!! You may also do this the old fashioned way upon the stove. Warning..it's a lovely beverage to lull you to sleep. I usually imbibe this treat while propped upon my pillows, reading a book. Doesn't take long before I doze off. Herbal lore says that cinnamon is used to enhance psychic ability...perhaps some prophetic dreams?? Only if they're good..or I don't want to know!! *smiles*

I need not get into comfort food...it would take up the whole blog. We all have our favorites during the cold months....especially those loaded with carbs. I find quite often that mashed potatoes imbue me with warmth and smiles. I especially love it when made in shepherd's pie. However, hand me a bowl of nothing else but buttery mashed on its own..and you will hear me sigh in contentment. Mmmm.. What is your favorite comfort food?

There is no need to fear Father Winter's embrace when it is lovingly and gently offered. We have the simple comforts to keep us warm and cozy during the season of frost. Let's seek ways to enjoy it rather than scoff when the temperature drops. After all...we have the power to make of it what we wish. Let's become those happy people within the beautiful snow globes. Go out and be tenderly kissed by those magical crystals...snowflakes.


On this, the eve of my 39th year, I have reflected on all the blessings the past year has granted. So much has happened, so many changes, new discoveries, and beginnings. I have changed..I can admit it. On the eve of my 30th birthday, I imagined many things about my future. I had many plans and dreams. I could not foresee what fate had in store for me. I never thought those changes would come so soon. Needless to say, I am not where I thought I would be on the eve of my 30th birthday. No..I am in a place where I never imagined..a place I have created for myself, on my own. If this year has taught me anything, it has taught me the true meaning of the words "I Can"...and for my 39th my words of choice are "I Will".


Thank you each and every one of you for...well...for you of course! If I didn't have you, who would read my musings? You've embraced me, followed my every mood, and have kept me company when I've felt alone. You are one of the blessings of my 38th year.


xoxo

Miss Sandra

11 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. Makes me yearn for the snow. I love the cold and the snow, but it is really not so pretty here in the city. The first day is simply gorgeous, but the next day it is a dirty, gray icy mess.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to our lovely Lady of Harmony House!!!

    And such a delicious post you gave us, on the eve of your Birthday. Yes, like all things, try to find the sweetness in all. Not in a Pollyanna-ish way. No! In a common sense way. Because just to dwell on pain, does nothing but make us hurt more.

    Go out and catch some snowflakes on our tongue! :-) Even if I/we may have to be very careful not to fall while doing it. :-)

    More Christmas-y Happy Birthday Wishes!!!

    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear One, you may not want to reply, but I'm going to ask you to read, anyway... :-)

    May I please ask you to take a minute and read my latest post? Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your birthday wishes dear Sandra! I'm not supposed to be working/blogging/commenting today (rules of the Other Half) but just HAD to pop over and wish you a very, very Happy Birthday too; kindred spirits we are!!

    Enjoy your special day. Jeanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post and love the template! Happy Birthday and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Miss Sandra!

    yes... yes...
    this is your year!
    you will softly, beautifully own it!

    that you find such pleasure
    in the coldest of days
    says much about
    you!

    peace and best, best wishes to you!
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary,
    Yes..the snow is quite lovely when freshly fallen..after a few days the gray sets in. No matter...I love it! Thanks for stopping in.

    Auntie,
    Thank you dear!! As soon as I get some snow (without the rain) I'll go out and catch some with my tongue..the little girl in me still enjoys making snow angels too!
    By the way..I did go and read your post. Be well dear one.

    Jeanne,
    Thank you..so lovely to share my birthday with you. Hope yours was lovely.

    Dreamwriter,
    Thank you for stopping by and the birthday wishes.

    Chuck,
    Thank you so, so much! Yes, this will be my year...my year...my year! Peace!

    Hugs to you all!!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Miss Sandra!

    a warm fire,
    a venture outside into the cold, crisp air,
    and back to the fireside.
    a nice way to rejuvenate the soul.
    very nice post.

    may all your dreams come true!
    Mary Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mary Jane,
    Thank you so much! Yes, winter's cold and the hearth's warmth..definitely go hand in hand to make the season simply comforting.
    Thank you for the wishes..
    hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Sandra-

    Happy 39! You know, aging stops at 39. You will never be older. That's what old people like me learned from Jack Benny back in the day...

    I love mashed potatoes! If I was stranded on a desert island and only had one food, mashed potatoes would be it. And I'll have to try that cinnamon milk... it sound so delicious!

    Freshly fallen snow is beautiful, but I don't like when it becomes gray and salty, or scraping the ice off my car and trying to drive on ice or heavy slush.

    Thank you for your lovely musings! Have a great holiday season!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam,
    Thank you so much! Yes..I remember Jack Benny remaining 39 forever.He was so funny..and I loved how he played at being ever so stingy..or should I say frugal?

    Funny, I feasted on mashed potatoes last night. Yes, I peeled potatoes on my birthday..and did some laundry..and worked on the Christmas trees.
    Ahhh..the glamorous birthday life of a single woman. *smiles"* Regardless..it was lovely.

    I think you will like the cinnamon milk. After all, what's not to like about cinnamon? I love to chew on the cinnamon stick afterward. Yumm.

    Snow is best enjoyed from the comfort of our homes..I too cannot enjoy driving in it. And most times than not, it is I who has to shovel my storefront. *sigh* But that's okay..hot chocolate is my reward.

    I hope you are having a lovely season and enjoying every magical moment.

    hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra