Friday, November 20, 2009

Embracing The Season..


...The holiday season that is!

I can't believe we are several days away from Thanksgiving 2009. It seems just yesterday I was planting my herbs for my spring garden. Well never-the-less, I am happy about it. Two years ago was the last time I hosted Thanksgiving dinner. I am thrilled that this year I shall don my apron once again and have my family over to celebrate and be grateful.

Poor Thanksgiving. It seems it's always overshadowed by Christmas. It doesn't stand a chance. Once Halloween is over...Christmas decorations are on display. As a child, I remember seeing paper cutouts of turkeys on windows in every shop and home. Pilgrims, pumpkins, and other symbols of Thanksgiving were a given and commonplace. You see very little of it today..perhaps a small section at the local CVS...somewhere underneath the Christmas lights.

I guess it shouldn't really matter. Thanksgiving is felt within our hearts...and we have reason to be ever so thankful on a daily basis. The first words I usually speak, when I open my eyes each morning are "Thank you for the blessing of another beautiful day of life."

Those words I have said, even during the worst of times.

And so on...in the spirit of things, I shall officially begin my Christmas decorating this weekend. Yes, yes..I know. Did I not just preach about Christmas overshadowing Thanksgiving festivities?? Silly me..Though really, I have no choice. I like my place to be decorated by December 1st. However, it usually takes me a week or more to dress Harmonie House in Christmas splendor. These days are pretty busy for me, so I have to take advantage of the spare moments I get...especially the weekends. I shall incorporate my pilgrims, pumpkins, and turkeys into the x-mas decor. I love both holidays...very much!!

Christmas 2008 at Harmonie House

So my dears...I wish you all a lovely weekend filled with many blessings..many reasons to be ever thankful.

xoxo
Miss Sandra

7 comments:

  1. Miss Sandra-

    It's so true, I don't see the Thanksgiving decorations I did years ago... it's all about Christmas! At our house, the Halloween decorations such as the pumpkins and gourds and corn husks remain through Thanksgiving.

    Your house at Christmas looks amazing! I so LOVE your woodwork! You are so lucky to have it. Have fun this year with your Christmas decorating!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to do what we have to do. :-) I have a little bit of both Thanksgiving and Christmas up, myself.

    I do love the idea of Thanksgiving though... A warm holiday WITHOUT the push to buy, buy, buy presents. !!!!!!!!! Needless to say, I am turned off by the over commercialization of Christmas. The over-kill-kind. Not the normal kind. The over push.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady Sandra~

    so happy
    that you are excited
    to be hosting... you do that a lot, i sense!

    and that says
    much about you...
    all good. all goodness.

    do enjoy.
    best wishes from afar~
    Chuck

    ps
    love the new, festive theme on the edges!
    but none compare with the reality
    of your beautiful home and hearth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A perfect hostess
    for this beautifully, decorated home.

    and I so love the name "Harmonie House"!

    Have a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving, Miss Sandra~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    Thank you kindly! I was very fortunate to find the woodwork in such fine condition. Of course I have previous owners to thank.
    I didn't get as much decorating done as I had hoped, but I'll work on it little by little.

    Aunt Amelia,
    I agree..Thanksgiving is a stress-free holiday. Over commercializing of any holiday tends to take away a bit of the magic..the true meaning.
    That's why it's up to us to keep tradition.

    Chuck,
    Yes, I am excited. Thanksgiving is special to me...and I do enjoy hosting. Having my family over is the icing on the cake. Oh..and thank you! I too like this new wall theme..very nostalgic and festive, but as you've said, it does not compare to my home and hearth. Best wishes to you and yours!

    Mary Jane,
    Thank you so much! The name of my house is very special to me. I think one day I shall blog about how it came to be. A beautiful, blessed Thanksgiving to you!

    Matthew,
    A hearty compliments of the season to you as well. All the best!

    To all of you, I thank you for stopping by. May the Autumn winds send blessings your way this day. xoxo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope someday you share how
    "Harmonie House" came to be.

    Stories like that fascinate me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra