Friday, July 22, 2011

A Letter To The Skunk Family...

from here.

Dear Skunk Family Living Under My Shed,

I hope this missive finds you all in good health and keeping cool under these severe heat conditions. It's been quite some time since I've noticed your existence in my garden. At first I thought you were just passing by.. crossing from one yard to another on your merry way. I began to question your frequent visits, when my dear fella almost mistook one of you for a kitty...yes, he called you over and you gingerly acquiesced and approached him happily. Naturally he exited the premises, quite quickly mind you, upon noticing that you were not in fact a kitty cat.

Twas not long after that, when I went out one evening to water my flower beds. I turned on the lights in the tent/gazebo and just when I was about to enter, I heard some scurrying nearby. Lo and behold!! There were two of you making your way past me. Yes, I froze in place hoping you'd ignore me...thankfully you did. One of you was actually quite adorable and little. I guess you were the baby strolling with your Mama. Needless to say, I backed up slowly...farther into the yard...and watched you both disappear under the shed. Not far behind, near my fence was a third one in your clan. I believe it may have been Papa skunk foraying the premises for your evening meal. How good of him to take care of you so well. I hope he succeeded and brought home the bacon. 

I've spied each of you at one point or another since that night. Just this evening I braved the very warm weather and went out to quench my flower beds. Hose in hand and humming a happy tune, I sprayed the flowers whose sigh of relief was almost audible. Mr. Knightley watched me from the dining room window...at least I thought he was watching me. *sigh* 
No. I wasn't the subject of his attention for LO & BEHOLD, once again, I was accompanied by you...the cute family of skunks. No doubt you watched me while you did what you do when you do what you do in the yard. (I hope you all got that!) 

You must've been quite amazed at my bravery, though some may call it stupidity, of not budging from my spot and continuing to water my plants. Oh don't worry. I kept an eye on each of you. One ran into the hostas and went right back under the shed. The other (I guess it was Papa) continued sniffing around for supper, and the third strolled into the tent/gazebo. You must've heard me loudly exclaim.."Oh No You Didn't!!!" *insert vexatious mutterings* Yes..I believe Mama skunk was making good use of my lounge chair. I decided to mind my business and quickly finish what I started out to do. 
Twas then I decided I've had enough!

This brings me to the reason behind this letter. I am quite honored that you chose Harmonie House's garden as your home. It shows you have fine tastes..you are indeed skunks of quality and distinction. However, I can no longer risk the possibility of myself or my fella vexing one of you and getting sprayed. Please, do not take offense. It's not that I think your scent lacks in essence. Truly it's got the quality that's in a class by itself. It's just not for everyone...myself included. So I'm asking you to please pack your bags and find another shed in another garden...somewhere far away. Thank you for your cooperation and have a nice day. *smiles*

 Whaddaya mean we gotta move???

Consider yourselves evicted!

Sincerely,
Miss Sandra

second photo from here.



9 comments:

  1. Oh My LOL! That's one group I have yet to meet in my yard. Step gingerly dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Dragon Li,
    I hope you don't ever have these critters in your yard. I encountered the baby tonight..very close by. He went on his merry way shortly after.
    I think they really like it here. *sigh*
    Hope you and the family are doing well my dear.
    xoxo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I have never seen one in the wild or in any garden...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Christine,
    They are cute..but we cannot trust them. I wish they would find another home because I do like to spend summer evenings outdoors in my garden. It's tough to do now with worrying about one of them coming near and spraying.
    Thank you for stopping by. Please visit as often as you'd like. It's nice to see you.
    Blissful tidings to you!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, I'd be so nervous out there watering! You are brave!

    How will you relocate them? Can you town's animal control help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww so cute but I wanted you to know that I presented you some blog awards on my blog so you should go and check them out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Mary,
    I've considered calling animal control. I just need assurance that they will not hurt them. if that was to be the case, I rather they just live here harm-free. My fella hopes that once the baby grows, they might move along elsewhere. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
    I hope you are having a most enjoyable summer. xo!

    Dear Presley,
    You are such a dear! Though I am an award and tag free blogger, I must say I am quite honored by your gesture. I shan't forget it! I love your blog. You remind me of a very young "me". :)Stay sweet and follow your dreams.
    Till the next! xo!

    Blissful tidings to you both!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute and so well written! Did they heed your notice??? They are adorable looking little creatures, are they not? If it were not for their "perfume" I'd be happy to have them as visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Miss Sandra-

    Oh, I'm so behind in reading posts and getting back to blogland! You are so nice to let the skunk family stay for as long as you did. But after all, they might spray, and you never know when! Did they leave on their own? I do hope so. I really enjoyed reading your open letter to them, lol!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra