Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Woman, Pamper Thyself!


My Dears,

"Self-nurture is not about being selfish. It is about self-care." ~Alice D. Domar, Ph.D

I've been reading one of my all-time favorite comfort books "Romancing The Ordinary" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. You may be familiar with her ever popular books including Simple Abundance.

In this book she takes on each month of the year and invites us "women" to treat ourselves and our senses to the simple pleasures. I will now take her advice on pampering and share it with each one of you.



The Soulcraft of Pampering

Most women think that pampering is self-indulgent. Actually, pampering is a sacred soulcraft because pampering is self-preservation. Have you ever noticed how you feel on the fourth day of a vacation? You wake up well rested and your aches have disappeared or diminished. You realize that your emotional equilibrium is back - once again a glass of spilt milk is just that; something to be wiped up, not screamed about. You break into a grin more easily, have more energy, and are as spontaneous as the weather. If it's rainy, you'll read; if it's sunny, you'll play outside. Doesn't matter. You're back in touch with a warm, witty, wonderful woman who is fun to be around all the time, and it feels like a happy reunion.

Unfortunately, everybody's favorite gal is only around when she's been pampered-charmed, cajoled, and coaxed out of hiding...but it doesn't have to be two weeks at an expensive spa. A few days of tuning out the wants of the world and a little attention is all a blissful babe asks. It's not much.

Oh yes it is...but stay with me. Most women think of pampering as recuperative, after they've crashed and burned. I know I did. In reality, pampering is every day's most urgent need and the best preventive medicine. "Losing touch with ourselves is easy to do these days. We are conditioned to ignore the warning signs that protect us from becoming ill," Barbara Close reminds us in her soothing guide to sensory self-care, Well-Being: Rejuvenating Recipes for Body and Soul. "Instead we push ahead to meet deadlines and live up to our responsibilities and commitments until fatigue or sickness overwhelms us and forces us to stop." Barbara believes in simple, restorative rituals that engage all our senses. Pampering from the inside out helps us "reestablish a sense of connection to ourselves."

In the beginning, introducing small moments of pampering into your daily round is going to feel strange, unnatural, and forbidden....but persevere, one small, kind gesture at a time. Pampering is really Life's most natural remedy for whatever ails us physically and psychically. So when those guilt feelings start to creep close, remember that pampering is not selfish or frivolous. Pampering is soulful. Pampering is how you reach out and touch your essensual self. Pampering is the spiritual secret to becoming self-possessed.

~Sarah Ban Breathnach - Romancing The Ordinary...A Year Of Simple Splendor

Losing myself in a good book....a lovely way to pamper my mind.

Simple pampering.

from here
Oh how I love a foot massage!

Blissful slumber...

Have I mentioned how much I love tulips? They make me smile.

Heaven knows I have many ways to nurture my body and spirit through pampering. Sweetly scented body creams, a foot massage, and a room full of tulips are just a few of my favorite pampering treats. Even the simple things like music, a hot bubbly bath, a favorite meal, and a soothing night of deep slumber filled with the sweetest of dreams can contribute to one's pampering..... after all, it's about what makes us feel rejuvenated and blissful.

How do you pamper yourself?

xoxo,
Miss Sandra

5 comments:

  1. Miss Sandra-

    What a eye-opening post on pampering! I, too, thought of pampering as something you do AFTER you feel stressed or worn out. I guess I need more of it in my everyday life. Something I do enjoy every day, though, is cuddling my two kitties! And enjoying a good laugh with my husband relieves a lot of stresses, too. :-)

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE her books! They are full of great advice. Hope you are having a super weekend (love the new look :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pam,
    You must definitely take a moment to pamper yourself daily. I agree with you that sharing laughter with the one you love is a great stress reducer...and cuddling with the kitty is a sweet form of pampering. I always find the purring to be therapeutic to my senses..I can fall asleep while Mr. Knightley is purring loudly. Hope your winter was filled with warmth and home comforts. Hugs!

    Dear Alina,
    She definitely has a way with words. I must pick up some of her other books. My weekend has been quite delightful...a rainy Sunday is simply sublime. Hope you've been well and enjoying your weekend too! Hugs!

    Thank you both for stopping by! xo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh a Piggy-like picture! Looks just like him and is something he totally would have done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Joie,
    You are so right...it does look like Piggy. He was one of the sweetest cats I had ever known. Hope all is well my dear. Miss you!
    xoxo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra