Friday, June 19, 2009

Ramblings On Life


Oh dear...here I go again trying to figure out this thing called LIFE. There are many how-to manuals out there, but I believe experience is the best thing to help us learn and get through this "Life " thing.
We all know that life is full of blessings, even after the heartaches. That's promising isn't it? We have a whole world out there to explore..right at our fingertips. How exciting is that??

So why am I still trying to figure it out? Why so inquisitive?

Perhaps it's because until the age of 24, I lived at home with my parents. Then for 13 years after that, I lived at home with my husband. Now I live home...alone. Okay, maybe not all alone since I do have the company of my dear cat Mr. Knightley. However, he cannot answer my questions.

I guess it's this whole new life I have...being single. I've been thrust out into this world..uncertain world at that...from having been a homemaker to now a business woman overnight. WOW! Then there's that "single" factor again. It's quite menacing really. I'm not used to this. Granted, I know I'm not the only 38 year old single woman out there, but I've been at this for only a year and 4 months. I'm not good at it really.

If only life were as easy as riding a bike.

What does one do?
I have friends...lots of them. However, most of them are married. Who wants to be the 3rd wheel? Heck, I don't. Most tell me that now I can just get up and go out on a whim. Well really..I wouldn't know where to start. Going out alone is kind of sad. "Get into the social whirl and meet someone" I'm told. Well, I don't think I'm very good at that either. The dating field is ever frightening now-a-days. Well how about my Victorian world??? I go to balls...picnics...croquet matches..and Edwardian dinners. Oh it's all wonderful...such fun!!! But since I've been alone...it just doesn't matter as much. Strange.

I've just finished reading a book called How To Be Single. It's a story about four 30-something year olds who have for one reason or another become single and feeling it deeply. "Ahh" I thought "Maybe some answers will be found in this book". No dice. These four women still remain alone by the end of the book. Granted, they have a better insight of their lives at that point. Still, no answers for me.

So alas. I've decided this is a journey of self discovery for me. Perhaps it's time I learn to live with myself, by myself. I will probably discover some amazing things...one never knows! After all...I do love myself. Isn't that a good start???

Perhaps one of the best ways to living life is living in the moment...each one at a time. Every moment is an experience. Each experience becomes a memory, whether good or bad. It's life. If we should live by the moment...and learn from it, then maybe we'll be all right.

Oh well...I'll just kick my heels and dance my way through life. And if life should throw me some limes...well then, I'll just have to make some yummy gin & tonics to soothe away the blues. *smiles*

These ramblings from a confused, curious, brave, sad, yet sometimes happy woman have been brought to you by the lady of Harmonie House...who thinks that this thing called "LIFE" should have better instructions....or at least a pamphlet.

Oh let's just dance!!!

xoxo
Miss Sandra


10 comments:

  1. I spent a lot of time as a single woman after leaving my parents house and before I met my husband. It is difficult sometimes especially with lots of married friends.

    An instruction booklet would be nice but then if you think about those little instructions or assembly directions that come with things like bicycles, maybe it wouldn't help after all. It would probably create more confusion.

    I think you have the right idea, let's dance, dance like no one is looking!

    I hope you have a sunny weekend, all the rain is now over here.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, no Instruction Manual comes with Life. Not even a for-sure Purpose.

    I personally love what Joseph Campbell replied, when asked "What's the meaning of life?" He would respond, "There is no meaning. We bring the meaning to it."

    He also said, "Follow your bliss."

    Wouldn't it be nice if you continue to do those things, which interest you and bring you joy... And while doing them, you meet others, who share your joy? Maybe a special 'other'...

    I know, nothing concrete here. Sorry, but I don't have much to offer. Just my deep wish that you do find much of life's joy, again.

    Gentle hugs,
    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning! I'm ready to have my cup of tea so that I can be fully awake.

    Judy,
    Thank you dear. You're right. An instruction manual would eventually confuse things more...and you know, not even a 24 hour customer service rep could help us. :) So yes...I'll dance, and dance! It was sunny here yesterday for the first time in a while...unfortunately, it's cloudy again today with threats of heavy rain. Oh well! Guess it's time for the rain dance. Wellies here I come! :) Have a beautiful day!

    Aunt Amelia,
    Oh...I love what Joseph Campbell says. Truly he is right. Makes total sense.
    You know, I've always loved that word "bliss". Even the sound of it makes me smile. I shall endeavor to have a blissful day today, rain or shine!
    Please know you have so much to offer. You always have wise words for me. You are ever so sweet and I thank you for your kind words.
    Have a beautiful day!

    Hugs to you both dahlings!
    Miss Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just emailed you...to much to fit on this post! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lori. I have responded by e-mail.
    xo
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, first, Joseph Campbell rocks beyond measure. I didn't even know of that line (or I have forgotten it) and it made me gasp out loud.

    Second, if life came with instruction manuals nowadays, it would read something like this:

    If is best to be walking with yirg, then greatest will be highest yes. You will be to the good.

    Then it would be written again in chinese characters and would actually make sense to someone that can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Joie!
    You are too funny!
    However, that would most likely be the way. Then if we called the "Life" hotline, our call would probably be routed to India or something. Sheesh!
    As for Joseph Campbell, I think I must look into his books....so inspirational.
    I hope I'll be seeing you today dahling. Love you!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Candy!
    Thank you for stopping by. Please come by as often as you'd like...and stay for tea!
    Hope you've had a lovely day!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Sandra,
    It is never too late to find a soul mate;just follow your passions and somewhere,someday there he will be.Sadly my friend passed on last year and left a dear man behind.I can't see him alone forever although he has two teenage girls to share his sorrow but someday I hope he too finds someone to share the remainder of his life here on earth. There are many people out there that are alone, the difficulty lies in finding them!I like Aunt Amelia think following your heart's desires may prove rewarding for I know of some very decent people out there who shouldn't be alone and are just like you.You know how it goes when you aren't looking for it there it is!

    Hugs Annabelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Miss Sandra,
    Life is not at all what we picture it when we are young. It does not gete rosier as the days pass us by. What I strive to achieve is to see the world as a place that has wonder and magick in it. I try with great effort to keep a sunnier disposition. I want to keep myself in that happy place which most of the time eludes me. Sometimes, it is about not loosing hope if or until someone will come along to add joy to your life. Life as they say is what you make of it. Truly difficul in its simplicity because it will go on regardless. The only effect that you may have on it, is your disposition and view of life.
    Love,
    Lady Aradia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra