Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Enchanted


I thought I 'd take advantage of this rainy afternoon to blog about my favorite book and movie of all time.....Enchanted April.


I remember the very first time I watched the movie several years back on cable. I've always loved flicks that take place in England in the early 20th century, however little did I know that this one film would stir within me so many emotions all at once.

I do not want to spoil it for those who have not seen it or read the book, so I shall keep this as short and sweet as possible.

Four women who were strangers to one another embark on a getaway trip to Italy to a castle they rented together....basically to get away from the humdrum of their daily lives in England. Two of them have a less than satisfactory marriage. The other two, one a socialite tired of the "grabbing men" and the other a lonely old widow living in her literature past, complete the foursome.

Their unique personalities seem to clash at first, but not for long. The ambiance within and without the castle "San Salvatore" is purely beautiful and magical. It seems to be, as Lottie puts it "a tub of love", for before you know it, both Lottie and Rose invite their husbands to come and partake of the magic. There is no loathing, no bitterness there. Love abounds within the flowers and the air.

For those 93 minutes of the film, I was Lottie....wanting to get away and discovering something so beautiful and inspiring......LOVE.

Imagine a place like that existed. Where upon awaking in the morning and looking out your window, you are greeted by a landscape akin to a painting. A place where one does not have to speak words of love in order to feel them. Heck, a place where a woman doesn't have to spell it out to her man that she loves him...for he becomes a willing recipient of its spell. Oh how delightful and lovely.

The colors and visual cinematography is a feast for the eyes and soul. There is beauty throughout the whole film....at least to me there is. *smiles*

I'm a romantic in so many ways....if you are too, this film is for you.

Oh...please, read the book first if you so desire. The author is Elizabeth Von Arnim. I've picked up three antique copies for myself...one from 1922 published in England. Can you tell I just love Enchanted April?

Today I'm inspired....I'm going to make my home a tub of love!!!

Oh! The rain has stopped and the sun is out. *sigh*


I wish you all love!

xoxo
Miss Sandra

7 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I haven't read the book yet, but I've seen both versions of the movie (the modern version, and the one from the 1930s) and loved them both.

    Your copy of the book is so pretty! I love having old versions of my favorite books. I recently purchased a 1920s copy of "An Old Fashioned Girl", which is one of my favorite stories. It has a beautiful cover and colored plates on the inside and I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra! I remember seeing part of Enchanted April on TV once, but I didn't see all of it. I'll have to rent it and add the book to my ever-growing list of must-reads. Have a wonderful evening! ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love that film! But I've never read the book. -le sigh- Must rectify that...

    And how lovely that you've been able to find antique copies of the book.

    Gentle hugs,
    Aunt Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having neither read the book nor having seen the movie I feel I need to find a copy immediately and began this lovely tale. I always prefer to read a book before viewing the movie.

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've convinced me. I think I will be reading this lovely book next week on vacation!

    Love you,

    Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth,
    I have yet to see the 1930's version. I must make a point to do so. Now you have me wondering about An Old Fashioned Girl. Not sure if I've heard of it, but must now look into it. Nice to have authentic copies from the era..isn't it? Hope you're having lovely moments.

    Lori,
    Indeed you must rent it and read the book. I believe the 1992 movie is very true to the book. Let me know when you've seen it. Hope you've been well my dear.

    Aunt Amelia,
    Well at least you've watched the film and know why it makes me feel so swoony. Hope you haven't been getting as much rain as we have. Have a lovely day!

    Judy,
    Yes...go watch the movie and read the book. Grab a cup of tea and get cozy. You will enjoy every minute of it. Have a lovely one!

    Kim
    My dear...make sure that you're presently reading this on your vacation. I shall quiz you when you come back. Happy Birthday dear friend.
    love ya lots!

    Hugs galore to you all my dears!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rather read the story first and then view the movie;now you have me looking for this book! Sounds so romantic and it also takes place in my old home mixed with a touch of England....so intriguing.
    I am a romantic at heart and this story seems to echo all the elements of enchantment. Thanks for the heads up.

    Hugs Annabelle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. I always read your comments and always respond within the same page. Please stay for tea and scones.
So lovely to see you!
xoxo
Miss Sandra